· I don't like the idea presented on page 5 about men opening doors for women. "The door opening and similar services provided are services which really are needed by people who are for one reason or another, incapacitated." "So the message is that women are incapable."
· I open the door for a woman simply out of respect. I strongly believe than men and women are different for reasons that may be as basic as instinct. The view that Frye provides is cold and systematic as if we humans were only machines of efficiency. Only holding the door for a woman when she is carying something is fine, but how can one assume that the act of opening a door out of politeness is a caging in of women. I assume this Frye is a Feminist.
Johnson shares with us many insights on how I can, as a white, heterosexual, non-disabled, male, see how I have been born into a cycle of oppression. I have the advantage of not being looked at for being a potential for theft just because the color of my skin. However, this is not something I control and therefore I have privilege. If we can not change our predetermined notions about our Others, we can never stop the system of privilege and oppression.
No comments:
Post a Comment